Week 10 Assignment – Inmates’ Rights
To successfully complete this assignment, you will need to:
- Refer to:
- Chapter 11, “The Legal World, Prisoners’ Rights,” in your Corrections in the 21st Centurytextbook.
- This document, Summary of Inmate Rights [PDF].
- Use the Strayer University Library to conduct research on the cases that awarded prisoners their basic constitutional rights.
Effective corrections personnel recognize that inmates, like other U.S. citizens, are people protected by various constitutional rights. Not only do they recognizethat inmates have these rights, they are also knowledgeableabout those rights they are responsible to protect.
In this assignment, you will have the opportunity to analyze inmates’ rights, the cases that afforded inmates those rights, and the impact inmate rights have on correctional administration.
After reviewing Chapter 11 of your textbook, the “Summary of Inmate Rights” document, and conducting research on inmates’ rights and the corresponding case law, write a 3–5 page paper in which you:
- Summarize inmates’ rights and the U.S. cases that awarded them those rights.
- Explain how inmates’ rights impact correctional administration.
- Articulate your perspective about whether inmates have too many or too few rights.
- Be sure to include the rationale behind your perspective.
- Recommend, based on research and/or experience, additional rights to be afforded to inmates and those which should be removed.
- Use three sources to support your writing.
- Choose sources that are credible, relevant, and appropriate.
- Cite each source listed on your source page at least one time within your assignment.
- Access the Strayer University Library or review library guides for help with research, writing, and citation.