Review the various technology tools described in this week’s Learning Resources.
- Pick one of the technologies listed below or choose one on Genomics or Nanotechnology. Reflect on how they are used and how its use impacts the quality of care. Consider cost and reimbursement.
- Consider how your identified technology tools might impact nursing practice if it were more widely used. What are some barriers preventing increased usage? How could wider implementation be facilitated?
New and Emerging Technologies for Patient Care:
- 3-D printers
- Aging in place technologies
- Artificial pancreas and Wearable artificial kidney
- Biometric clothing
- Bionic eyes, limbs, hearts
- Cognitive computing for healthcare
- Disinfecting robots
- Exoskeleton for spinal cord injuries
- Fall prevention technologies
- Holographic images
- Magnetic Bracelet for Fecal Continence Control
- Mobile Cardiac Telemetry System/Wearable external defibrillators
- Mobile stroke treatment units
- New anti-obesity devices
- Noninvasive, wireless monitoring system for people with diabetes
- Patient Portals
- Robotics — patient care (RIBA and HAL)
- Symptom Tracker for Patients with Asthma or COPD
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS)
Answer each question separated and use at least 3 sources no later than 5 years