CTQ1. Read the Minicase from Chapter 3. Answer all the Discussion Questions in the end of this Minicase.
CTQ2. Pick one question to answer from the following list. Use your own language. Copying from the textbook will result in 0 points.
- Describe the principal differences among transaction processing systems, management information systems, and executive information systems. Use examples.
- Provide an example of functional systems. What is the defining characteristic of these systems?
- Define BPR. What are the principal advantages and limitations/drawbacks of BPR?
- How have we defined the concepts of business and systems integration? What is the relationship between the two? Can you provide examples of each?
- What is an enterprise system (ES)? Identify the principal advantages and risks that a firm should consider when evaluating the opportunity for the installation of an ES.
- What is an ERP system? Use examples to discuss its main advantages and limitations.
- What is a supply chain? Why is it important to actively manage the supply chain?
- Describe the essential benefits of knowledge management for modern organizations. Why are so many organizations struggling with their knowledge management initiatives?
- Define the following terms: business intelligence, business intelligence infrastructure, data warehouse, data mart, OLAP, and data mining. What is the relationship among the various elements of BI infrastructure?
- Define the term big data. What are the main implications of the 3 Vs—volume, velocity, and variety—on current managerial practices?
- What is the relational model? What are its main limits in the current context?
- What is the difference between data mining and big data?
- Describe the client-server model. What are the main differences compared to a centralized model?
- Present the main differences and discuss the main advantages and disadvantages of peer-to-peer and three-tiered architectures.
- What are the main advantages and disadvantages of a cloud solution compared with an on-premises solution?
- What is the main difference between the single- and multitenant application architecture?