In this discussion, we will apply personality theory to fictional characters. Movies, shows, plays, books, and role-playing games can offer us a rich opportunity to be transported to other places and meet interesting people. Throughout the course, we will be reflecting on how personality theory applies to us and how we can use our course topics to be the most effective versions of our authentic selves in social or professional contexts. In this assignment, we will look externally and use the textbook reading to analyze our favorite fictional characters to recognize patterns and perhaps get better insights into their behavior.
For your initial post, select a fictional character from any form of media and provide a short description of the character you select. Include an image, clip, or gif of your character to share with your peers.
Next, in at least 6 to 10 sentences, describe how at least two components of personality theory relate to your character and provide examples to illustrate points. To help you get started, you can use the questions below or any other components of personality theory presented by the text:
- What role does the unconscious play in your character?
- What is the importance of sexuality in your character’s life?
- Are any instinctual drives repressed?
- Are any neuroses present in your character’s behavior?
- What is the significance of early childhood experience to your character?
- Do you see any archetypes displayed by your character?
- Can you relate ego psychology to your character?
- Can you observe any defense mechanisms?
- Is your character experiencing an age-related developmental challenge?
- Does authoritarian personality relate to your character in a meaningful way?
Finally, describe whether your character demonstrates any emotional intelligence skills to exhibit an awareness of the behavior you have identified.
Remember to respond to two peers while being respectful of and sensitive to their viewpoints. Consider advancing the discussion in the following ways:
- Post an article, video, or additional research to reinforce a peer’s idea or challenge them to see their point from a different perspective.
- Engage in conversation with your peers around the analysis of their fictional character. Consider asking a question or sharing your own personal experience.
- Reply with another interpretation of your peer’s character or another application of theory that describes their behavior.
To complete this assignment, review the Psychology Undergraduate Discussion Rubric. You will also need: