Arrange the field experience for this course in a PK-12 school setting in which you observe and collaborate with a certified school principal. Prior to the field experience, review the requirements of all clinical field experiences for this course. Create a document to share with your principal mentor detailing the requirements for all field experiences for this course, and what is being requested of your mentor. This document should include the scheduling required to complete all assignments.
Each leader’s approach to professional development is different. This field experience will provide you with one leader’s perspective. You can use what you learn as a basis for developing professional development sessions as a school leader and for the second assignment in this topic.
Allocate at least 2 hours in the field to support this field experience.
Interview the principal mentor or another instructional leader on the topic of professional development. Discuss the mentor’s current role and how it relates to professional development, how the professional development program was developed, the incorporation of technology, the school’s CIP, and how the mentor knows the PD goals are achieved.
Consider the following questions in your interview:
- What are the major functions and activities related to the responsibilities of developing teachers and staff through professional development?
- What topics are present in the professional development program at your school?
- How were the topics in the professional development program determined?
- How was the program developed, and who were the participants in the development process? Were any data points reviewed when developing the program?
- How is technology incorporated into professional development sessions?
- How does professional development support the school’s Continuous Improvement Plan?
- How do you know if the professional development achieved its goals/outcomes?
- Ask at least two additional questions of your choice.
Use any remaining field experience hours to assist the principal mentor and, provided permission, seek opportunities to observe and/or assist the principal mentor.
Complete a 250-500 word reflection of your experiences. Incorporate PSEL Standards 6 and 7 into your reflection, along with any additional PSEL standards you choose, and describe how you will apply what you have learned to your future professional practice.
Submit your reflection along with your notes from the interview.
APA format is not required for the body of this assignment, but solid academic writing is expected. The PSEL standards should be referenced using APA documentation guidelines, which can be found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a rubric. Review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.